Inside the Building
Click on the small pictures on this page to see a larger version in colour
The original stained glass windows are confined to the Chancel and the Tower. They are of excellent quality and the work of Thomas Willement, a most eminent stained glass artist of the early 19th century. His work at St Saviour's came toward the end of his life.
The East and West windows represent our Lord enthroned in majesty with saints and angels. The west window is the most interesting but is unfortunately hidden by the present belfry screen. The upper portion shows our Saviour upon the Cross; in the sections below are St Mary and St John and the main lights contain various shields and arms. The Latin inscription reads: 'May God look favourably upon him who gave (this), Amen'.
The memorial window in the South/East aisle is dedicated to the memory of Annie Hewitt. She was the daughter of William Hewitt and the first organist of St Saviour's. It was installed in 1915, the stained glass in this window is also of good quality but the artist is unknown. The two saints depicted are St Cecilia, patron saint of music, and St Dorothea, patron saint of gardeners.
The plain glass windows in the Nave are diamond pattern leaded lights of Newcastle crown glass. Crown glass is first blown and then spun flat, this accounts for the ripples and slight discolouration which you can see if you look closely.
The wooden pews are made of oak, with Fleur-de-Lys ends. The original oak seats, with single poppy head ends, were widened and heightened in the 1920s in order to overcome their 'discomfort to worshippers', whilst the kneeling boards were replaced by hassocks in 1945, the former being 'uncomfortable to ageing knees'.
The Chancel contains a trefoil-headed piscena and sedilia in the south wall and a trefoil-headed credence shelf in thee north side. The tiled floor of the Chancel is original, its combination of colour and pattern is an indication of William Butterfield's later work which on many occasions did not find favour with his contemporaries.
The Font is in the Early English style, octagonal in shape with gracefully carved upper panels. Originally it had a pyramidal oak cover, suspended by a weight (the lifting mechanism is still visible at the top of the pillar behind the main door).
The Pulpit, of white stone, is also Early English style and basically octagonal, and originally was accessed through a narrow arch from the Vestry. This was closed when the Vestry was extended and the organ introduced around 1908/09. The oak screen replaced the original (now at the Belfry) in 1934, the work being done by the boys from Kingswood Boys School. The oak choir stalls were made in 1930 and installed by Mr Arthur Skinner whose father William Skinner prepared and fixed the Vestry Screen.
Through the generosity of this village, so apparent over the years, the other furnishings were all donated by either families or individuals as memorials.
You can download our leaflet and take a walk round the inside of the church.